With that wonderment which is the birth-act of philosophy, I suddenly start to query the familiar.
(Konrad Lorenz, 1952)

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Better than the Original?

Today I’m going for something light. Recently I was discussing music with a colleague of mine and we got into 80’s music. Luckily we were on the same wavelength about that decade: for a lot of reasons it sucked musically; and, if you listen to all the same old stuff people keep playing on 80’s Hits stations you keep hearing the worst of the decade. Anyway, I brought up New Order’s Love Vigilantes as a great song from a great band that was unfairly typecast. From there I told my friend about Iron & Wine’s new cover version and how I couldn’t decide which was better.

We all know great examples of cover versions that have been deemed better than, or at least equal to, the original song. I’ll jump in to this old argument, hoping that you comment with your picks.

I’m going to say that I vote a tie between New Order’s Love Vigilante and Iron & Wine’s very recent version. They are so different and both work. Laura Cantrell does a great version and others who cover the tune are Oysterband, Poi Dog Pondering, Hungry Lucy, and Jimmy Ryan. Give them a listen and tell me which you like and why.

All Along the Watchtower by Hendrix is a better version than Dylan’s original. Now wait, I wasn’t comparing Hendrix to Dylan, it’s about the song itself. As a rock song, Hendrix’s version is better.

Eva Cassidy’s version of Song Bird exceeds the impact of the Fleetwood original, but only for subtle reasons and in small degrees. And some might give me grief but I’m going with the Fugee’s Killing Me Softly over Roberta Flack’s original. I know “old school” style seems to be always better but I’ve had a wicked crush on Lauryn Hill and part of it is her earnest, smooth and sexy voice.

If you google any variation of “cover version better than original” tons of hits pop up. For example, The Website hearya has a list of 33 (http://www.hearya.com), where I think they hit some right and missed others. Example: No way is The Rolling Stones’ version of Just My Imagination better than the Temptations’ original. Mick and the boys can pull off all sorts of American styles and intonations but I don’t think they can match the smoothness of the Temptations.

But I do agree with hearya that the Foo Fighters version of Baker Street by Jerry Rafferty is much better. The energy is there, simple as that. And The Pogues And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda wins!

Your thoughts? Any song, any genre.

12 comments:

  1. While the Knack`s My Sharona is a classic, there is a cover of that song by a late 80s cover band out of DC that actually beat the original. Can`t recall their name, but wasn`t the Beave a part of that act?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of the Rolling Stones from your earlier post...Just my Imagination. Better than the original.

    Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better than the original? Hands down.....Ring of Fire - Social Distortion. It may as well be their song and Johnny Cash just pre-covered it.

    ...and 3 that I enjoy almost as much as the originals:
    Romeo & Juliet - The Killers
    Hotel California - Gypsy Kings (could just be its association to Big Lebowski)
    Folsom Prison Blues - Everlast

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have to say that I am one of those people that loves 80's music. What I have found is no matter where you are in the world, if the weather and climate are warm and hot-80's music is always playing. From Beirut, to Rio, to Cairo, to South Florida.
    Turner

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got another one: Romeo and Juliet by Indigo Girls. I like this better than the original and I have to say better than the Killers. And I'll agree that Social Distortion's version of Ring of Fire does better Cash's original.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a lot of thought put into this...but celestial nonetheless...

    Sundown by Elwood over Lightfoot (all due respect)
    and
    Hard Sun by Vedder over the other Gordon (I believe its Gordon) although close call but Vedders gruf tone turns me on just a tad more. No shock there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Paul will laugh at me for this one - Word Up by Willis. Better than original.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So from what i can gather from this, is if you fancy the person (Veder...agreed BTW and Hill..nubianlicious)then their version of the original wins hands down?

    ....OK then Nirvana unplugged man who sold the world did it for me BIG time when i was young and foolish to the true ways of Bowie... but it has stood the test of time and i still love it and Kurt!!! ...and by that admission it doesnt mean i dont love Bowie. I do. Alot. Mmmmm genius

    ....i'm gonna stick to a theme here, Seu Jorge did a few of Bowies covers quite well too.

    Hmmm the other side of the coin just landed sorry but it just popped into my mind (maybe cause of Keely's last comment)

    'Just the two of us' by will smith and his mini Smith should never have been made...ever...and it kinda makes me want to destroy all great music so the likes of Mr Smith and his clan never gets their grubby untalented paws on a classic song again...there should be rules and laws to prevent such savagery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'feeling good' by nina simone is a must at my funeral....however, muse does a pretty good job but michael buble can suck my ass.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. thought of another one....johnny cash does a fantastic job of 'hurt' by nine inch nails....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the comments folks. Keep 'em coming, especially to let people know about great covers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trying to come up with a cover I like, but don't necessarily like to person....there must be one out there!

    KT - I promise Nina will be played at your funeral.

    ReplyDelete