With that wonderment which is the birth-act of philosophy, I suddenly start to query the familiar.
(Konrad Lorenz, 1952)

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Song Obsessed

A lot of us become song obsessed from time to time. I've been obsessed with Let Down by Radiohead for over a month now. I became conscious of my obsession and started thinking of previous song obsessions, which led to me making a playlist that went on and on. There are currently 64 songs in the list and more may be added as my memory keeps bringing old obsessions to the fore.

Obsession comes from the Latin obsessus, meaning "besiege, occupy." Occupied by an idea, besieged by a persistent influence. That's cool. Music does it to me all the time.

I'm talking about playing a song all the time and singing it, and when you do those things you occupy a different reality. I'm not talking about song sung when very young, but music you hear from the radio or album and you are very conscious of it. Right now, my first memory of playing a song all the time involves the Help Me Rhonda. (Maybe I was in 5th or 6th grade).

I've chosen a few of my songs from past until now--less, I think, to share with you and more to just work out my memories. A life examined!

Help Me Rhonda: although important because of its primacy in my memory, it's more the fact that I liked and understood the lyrics. Understanding rock lyrics shows you ain't such a little kid anymore.

L.A. Woman (The Doors) and Going to California (Zepp) and Can't Stand Losing You (The Police) and The Message by Grandmaster Flash: all from 8th grade. See sentiment above about rock lyrics and intensify it.

Heroes by Bowie: first listened to in the eighties--Junior and Senior years in high school--and definitely tied to a great girlfriend and all those teen feelings of angst and romance.

Resposta by Skank: when I hear this song everything turns gold and I'm still living in Brasil. This is a great song from my favorite Brasilian rock band. It's a live version from an epic concert in Ouro Preto. I'm seen them live twice and the shows rank as top ten.

Bolero by Ravel: One of the songs to make me feel epic. I used to listen to this song quite a bit when running around Lagoa in Rio. It took my pace up so naturally and then I would cruise.

What I Got (Reprise) by Sublime: boy this one typifies the 90's for me. Lots of road tripping around Colorado with this on. 90's + Colorado = A Golden Age

Of course Loving Cup by the Rolling Stones: just see a previous post of mine.

Well, that’s it for now. Maybe more from the list later. Write in about a song you’ve become obsessed with, from whatever time of your life.

2 comments:

  1. Anything Floyd...but Great Gig in the Sky and Comfortably Numb = complete obsession.

    Into the Mystic - Van (always)

    Small Axe - Bob (well, all Bob really)

    Tempted - Squeeze (I think I had a 45 of that one)

    Amy - Pure Prairie League (Skidmore College years)

    She Talks to Angles - Black Crows (first "real" stereo system and CD)

    The Gambler - Kenny Rogers - it was the only CD my parents owned for years - Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KT and I were Into The Mystic possessed when her father left...i am basically a pre teen again because i am obsessed with Black Eyed Peas from Oprah's opening show to the first day of school when i changed the words and exhulted "Today's Gonna Be A great Day"...it just gets my blood pumping and makes me smile...Mazel tov
    Susan, proud mother of KT

    ReplyDelete